Sunday, January 16, 2011

Blogging in Society

This weekend I spent some time looking around the internet to find out who's blogging and why?  My first thought when asked who blogs is the movie "Julia & Julia" where a girl named Julia who loves to cook, cooks her way through Julia Childs cookbook and blogs about it...a great movie!  I have a little better understanding now.  A blog serves as a home base hub where you can control the content and are in charge of the design.  Social networking sites like Facebook and twitter, are used to direct traffic to your blog, which you can use in a variety of ways...sell products or services.  But...I am still confused, isn't that a webpage?  So maybe blogs are less expensive, or in our case, free.  Hmmm. 
I could see the use for networking with people who share common interests.  You must have consistent, interesting material for posting, otherwise why would anyone be interested in reading it?  I happened upon one where a woman was going to diet for 365 days and try 12 different diets in an effort to lose 50 pounds.  I read several posts and it was really a personal journal of her dissappointment at not being able to stick with any of the diets.  She had been posting for months!  I did run across a good website on blogging, how to make money blogging, creating a business around blogging with lots of tips.
http://www.buildabetterblog.com/

2 comments:

  1. An off-topic question, Lisa.

    I like how the blogs you are following show up as only a couple words. Mind telling us how you did that. When I followed the "add a gadget" instructions, they showed up as however the blog owner had titled them. Yours looks much neater!

    jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love to share it with you! When you "add a gadget" then scroll down to "Link List" Then just fill in the information. I titled mine "My Groups Blogs" It asks you how many links you want to include, then the URL and where it says page name is where you label it. Just follow the options and play with it...its pretty self explanatory, I think you might just have been using a different gadget. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete