Monday, January 10, 2011

Further Assessment...

Well, I still think to a certain extent, blogging has a familiar facebook ring to it.  But after a looking into it a bit more, it got me thinking about how I might use blogging as a tool in a Mathematics class that I will be teaching.  And I started to really see the value in it from this perspective.  I found a great blog maintained by a Math Instructor named Jamie Tubbs. 

http://futureofmath.misterteacher.com/classroom_blogs.html

Many students are to shy to speak up in class and utilizing a blog, as this teacher has done, has allowed through postings, a "one on one" feel for the students and teacher.  The teacher could post useful hints, fun websites, interactive games, and the students could ask questions without immediate peer pressure.  The teacher could gage where his class was regarding certain topics by their responses.   I really like the website and highly recommend it!

1 comment:

  1. I hadn't thought about the benefit for students who weren't especially willing to speak up in class, thank you! I think I would benefit from being a student in your math class :)

    ReplyDelete